Insider’s Guide to Norfolk Probate and Family Court 35 Shawmut Road Canton MA
by Amy Saunders
This is a guide I provide to all of my clients that must appear at the Norfolk Probate and Family Court at 35 Shawmut Road in Canton, MA.
Most important, where can I get a good cup of coffee on the way or a quick lunch on recess?
- Breakfast and Coffee (in order of distance)
- Dunkin Donuts – ( 3.1 miles; 7 minutes) Click here for directions.
- Amber Road Cafe – Canton, MA (3.5 miles, 10 minutes) Closed Monday. Click here for directions.
- Starbucks Dedham, MA (6.4 miles, 15 minutes without traffic). Click here for directions.
- Lunch (in order of distance)
- Famous Pizza (1.8 miles; 4 minutes) Click here for directions.
- The Chubby Chickpea – Fast Middle Eastern food for lunch. (2.8 miles; 6 minutes) Click here for directions.
- Lunch Box Deli (4.7 miles; 8 minutes)
- Parking: there is ample, free parking at the courthouse. If the lot is full — avoid parking in the adjacent lots (i.e., Salvation Army) as your car will likely be towed.
- Arrival Time: Court sessions generally start at 9:00am. People begin to line up starting at around 8:00am – 8:15am and the line tends to be very long come 8:30am. If you are running late– just arrive some time around 8:45am when the line starts to clear up. Court is generally in session until 4:30pm.
- Food and Drink: Food and drink are not allowed in the courtrooms. Plan accordingly.
- Cell Phones: Generally, only attorneys are allowed to bring in cell phones. Check with the guard prior to entrance to avoid any delays. If cell phones are allowed – there are ample electrical outlets in the main hallways to charge your devices.
- Photo Copiers: are available on the 1st floor for a fee.
- Rest Rooms: There are ample restrooms on each floor.
- Lunch Recess: the court is in recess for lunch from 1pm to 2pm.
- Where do I go? When you enter the courthouse – go to the right and find the wall board which lists your name and the courtroom you are assigned. If your name is highlighted in yellow — go to the third (3rd) floor to check in with probation and family services. If your name is not highlighted — go to your assigned courtroom AND check-in with the clerk.
- What do I do when I enter my assigned courtroom? The first thing you need to do is check-in with the clerk. You will need to fill out an envelope with your return address and leave it with the clerk on check-in. Envelopes will be made available for you.
- It is important to follow courtroom etiquette.
- Always stand when the judge enters the courtroom and do not sit until you have permission to sit.
- Always address the judge as “your honor” when speaking.
- When and if you speak to the judge — be sure to stand to speak — unless the judge gives you permission to sit.
- Do you have an Emergency Motion or Short Order Motion? If you have either of these motions – be sure to arrive BEFORE 8:30am OR 1:30pm. If you arrive after 8:30am, your matter will likely not be heard until after 2pm. If you arrive AFTER 1:30pm — your matter will likely be heard the following day, in general.
- Do you have a Child Support Matter? I would recommend that you visit the Department of Revenue office on the 2nd floor and request a copy of what you owe, this will save time later during your session.
- Clerk’s Office: is located on the first (1st) floor to the right of the main hall.
- Trial Assignment Depot: is located on the 2nd floor through the rotunda.
- Department of Revenue: is located on the 2nd floor through the rotunda.
There is additional information below including the telephone and fax numbers. If you are a client of our office – feel free to contact us at any time for additional questions at 508-659-0043. We screen our messages 24/7.
Formal Name of Courthouse
Probate and Family Court Department Norfolk Division
Common Names for Courthouse
Norfolk Probate Court
Address Probate and Family Court Norfolk Division
35 Shawmut Road Canton, MA 02021
Telephone Contact Numbers
Main Number: (781) 830-1200
Probation Department: (781) 830-1249
Court Clinic: (781) 830-4334
Mailing Address (Non-Criminal Pleading)
Norfolk Probate and Family Court
35 Shawmut Road Canton, MA 02021
Registry: (781) 830-4310
Judge’s Secretaries: (781) 830-4350
Probation Department: (781) 830-4320
Hours of Operation **
8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
** Hours may vary — check the website for any changes
List of Massachusetts Cities and Towns served by this Courthouse Avon, Bellingham, Braintree, Brookline,Canton,Cohassett, Dedham, Dover, Foxborough, Franklin, Holbrook, Medfield, Medway, Millis, Milton, Needham, Norfolk, Norwood, Plainville, Quincy,Randolph, Sharon, Stoughton, Walpole, Wellesley, Westwood,Weymouth, Wrentham